In this week’s episode of Beyond the Wrench, we are joined by Carolyn Coquillette, President of Automotive Service Councils of California (ASCCA) and CEO of Shop-Ware. Carolyn gives us the inside scoop on how she became president of ASCCA, the importance of getting involved in associations, and general advice for shop owners/managers on how to take care of their technicians.
Watch the Full Episode
About Automotive Service Councils of California (ASCCA)
- ASCCA started in 1940 and is an organization who advocates on behalf of service professionals in Sacramento to make sure the industry is heard.
- ASCCA’s core purpose is to unite automotive service professionals and give them a voice.
- ASCCA’s offers a free introductory membership to make it as easy and stress-free as possible to get involved in an association.
The Value of Associations
- Joining an association is more than just getting a sticker and free stuff. It’s about working together about a cause you care about to create more representation and visibility.
- Associations allow shops voices to be heard. It’s easy to discuss industry problems behind closed doors, but associations provide an opportunity for shops to speak and act on some of the problems.
- Being involved in an associations allows shops to make new and different connections within the industry.
General Advice for Shop Owners/Managers
- Shops owners need to work on their business rather than in their business. Think of the larger scope of the entire business, and the business is ultimately going to run better.
- If labor rates aren’t in check, shops will never be able to pay their technicians.
- Shops tend to put their customers before their employees. If shops prioritize their technicians’ needs and ensure they are happy, that will lead to returning and satisfied customers.
- If a shop is having trouble finding technicians, it’s because they are not paying enough. It’s pure market economics. It’s not a technician shortage; it’s a pay shortage.
Learn more about WrenchWay Insiders
Learn more about the Automotive Service Councils of California
Download the free WrenchWay app in the App Store or on Google Play:
- App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1534587616
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wrenchway.insiders
About Our Host:
Co-Founder & President, WrenchWay
firstname.lastname@example.org | 608.716.2122
About Our Guest:
Diesel Laptops: Diesel Laptops is your shop efficiency solution company. They do this through diagnostic tools, diesel technician training, repair information, parts lookup tools, and a call center staff with diesel technicians. Diesel Laptops is committed to working with you to find the right solution for your company that fits your needs and budget.
Follow the Beyond the Wrench Podcast
Don’t miss a single episode — follow to the Beyond the Wrench podcast! The Beyond the Wrench podcast is available on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Music
- iHeart Radio
- TuneIn + Alexa
- And more!