In this week’s episode of Beyond the Wrench, we are joined by Martha Carrigan, CEO, Big Shoes Network. Martha shares with us her knowledge on recruitment marketing, how to treat your employees right, and how to get valuable feedback from employees.
Watch the Full Episode
Defining Recruitment Marketing
- Recruitment marketing is marketing to current and future employees on all levels and in all ways.
- Millennials won’t buy a product or service if they perceive it’s not a great place to work. If you are not focusing on your employees and future employees, that can affect whether someone actually uses your product or service.
- The marketing department used to never talk with the HR department, but now they have to.
- Whether you’re a large or small business, it’s important for your future profitability to be a great employer and to recruit likewise.
- Being a good place to work is the foundation of a great recruiting strategy. If you’re not, it’s not going to be easy to find people.
- Culture isn’t just a buzzword. Businesses actually have to have a good culture and treat their people well.
Treating Your Employees Right
- Get to know your employees outside of the shop. What do they like to do in their free time? What hobbies do they have?
- Millennials are looking for culture and flexibility within a job. Gen Z wants increased feedback and advancement in their career.
- If you take care of your people, your people will take care of the business.
- Help employees plan for their retirement, and bring someone in to talk about it. In the past, the demographic that is 26-41 years old didn’t do a great job planning for retirement. Now, new generations are planning for retirement early on in their career.
How to Get Valuable Feedback
- Keep your surveys short. Provide an easy, quick five-question survey on a Likert scale, and you will get the feedback you need.
- Have “stay interviews” with your employees. Ask them what they like about their job and what can be improved. Your best feedback will come from those working within the company.
- Having multiple avenues to get feedback is so important. If you have good relationships with your people, you can get deeper level feedback.
- Meet with employees often so they never get to a point where little things are adding up and they eventually hit their breaking point.
- Just talking with employees and letting them blow off steam without trying to fix things is enough to keep someone. Employees just want to know they are being heard.
Learn more and register for TechMission 2022
Download the free WrenchWay app in the App Store or on Google Play:
- App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1534587616
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wrenchway.insiders
About Our Host:
Co-Founder & President, WrenchWay
email@example.com | 608.716.2122
About Our Guest:
CEO, Big Shoes Network
Truck Country & Stoops is the largest freightliner dealer group in the U.S. today, serving customers at locations in Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio, and Wisconsin. For nearly 60 years, they’ve offered new and used medium and heavy-duty trucks, expert service, an extensive parts inventory, and more. If you are wanting to learn more about Truck Country & Stoops, visit truckcountry.com.
Follow the Beyond the Wrench Podcast
Don’t miss a single episode — follow the Beyond the Wrench podcast! The Beyond the Wrench podcast is available on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Music
- iHeart Radio
- TuneIn + Alexa
- And more!