In this week’s episode of Beyond the Wrench, we are joined by Garrick Weaver, Human Resources Director, Penn Power Group. Garrick shares with us interview tips for technicians, questions technicians should ask in an interview, and the importance of technician training/development.
Watch the Full Episode
Interview Tips for Technicians
- Shops are looking for candidates who are engaged. When talking on the phone, be present in the conversation.
- Before the interview, research the shop. It takes two minutes to look at their website and understand what they do.
- Show up to the interview with a couple of questions to ask. Coming in with questions shows you’ve done research and care about the position.
- When going into an interview, always bring a pen and notebook. A lot of important information is going to be said, so write everything down.
- After the interview, send a thank you email with bullet points explaining why you are a good fit for the job.
Asking Questions in an Interview
- When asking about pay structure, research the shop and know what an appropriate pay range would be.
- Know the benefits a shop provides their technicians (i.,e., insurance, 401(k), PTO, tool allowance, uniforms, etc.).
- Don’t sell yourself short. If you need $23/hr to live comfortably and pay the bills, make sure to set yourself up for success.
- Ask to walk through the shop. See if it’s organized.
- Ask to talk with the technicians in the shop, and see if they are happy working there.
Technician Development and Training
- Technicians want to be put on a development plan that will maximize their success over the course of their career.
- Ask the interviewer questions, then fact check. Go check with the techs on the floor and ask how the shop prioritizes training.
- Note that some technicians won’t go out of their way to find additional training, but others take it extremely seriously and seek it on their own.
- Stay in contact with mentors, and continue building relationships. Everybody knows somebody.
The Impression You Make On Technicians, Managers, Service Writers, and More, Matters!
Learn more about WrenchWay Reverse Job Posts
Download the free WrenchWay app in the App Store or on Google Play:
- App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1534587616
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wrenchway.insiders
About Our Host:
Co-Founder & President, WrenchWay
firstname.lastname@example.org | 608.716.2122
About Our Guest:
Human Resources Director, Penn Power Group
BusPatrol: Transforming pupil transportation by creating a system to sustain the safety of children as they travel to and from school. Our AI-Enabled Stop-Arm Camera School Bus Safety Program makes roads safer at no cost.
Follow the Beyond the Wrench Podcast
Don’t miss a single episode — follow to the Beyond the Wrench podcast! The Beyond the Wrench podcast is available on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Music
- iHeart Radio
- TuneIn + Alexa
- And more!