In this week’s episode of Beyond the Wrench, we are joined by Jason Olinger, Automotive Technician, Gwatney Chevrolet. Jason shares with us his insight on why there is a technician shortage, solutions to help fight the technician shortage, and more.
Watch the Full Episode
What Caused the Technician Shortage?
- There used to be a stigma when a new tech came into the shop that there would be less work/money for the techs who already work there.
- There are some older technicians who talk to the new technicians with a negative mentality and scare them away from the industry.
- People are starting to realize the technician shortage is affecting everybody in the shop, not just the owner.
- For so long, technicians weren’t prioritized in a dealership setting. They were there to support the front end. Now, technicians are being treated as important as everyone else in the dealership.
Combating the Technician Shortage—Apprenticeship Programs
- Start early—Get in the schools when kids are young, and start building relationships.
- Show kids this is a great career choice. Kids can start working in a shop and be successful without piling up debt from going to college.
- Shops need to start an apprenticeship program to help students see what it is like in this industry. Create a structured program where students can do online learning, then come in the shop and learn with their hands.
- Paint a positive perception for young people coming in. Show them what it truly looks like to work in a shop.
Mentorship Tips for Technicians
- First of all, make sure the mentor knows what they’re talking about. If they don’t know an answer to a question, don’t make something up.
- Set a good example. Show young technicians you’re doing the same stuff you are teaching them.
- Don’t become a mentor just to make some extra money. Take the time to teach them—that is why they’re there; they want to learn.
- As a mentor, you’re a role model to the young technician you are teaching. It’s a heavy job to be a mentor, and you need to take it seriously.
Lube Rack is the Most Important Job in the Shop!
Learn more about WrenchWay’s Topic of the Month
Follow Jason on Tik Tok
Download the free WrenchWay app in the App Store or on Google Play:
- App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1534587616
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wrenchway.insiders
About Our Host:
Co-Founder & President, WrenchWay
firstname.lastname@example.org | 608.512.7330
About Our Guest:
Automotive Technician, Gwatney Chevrolet
WheelTime Network consistently delivers your quality truck and coach repairs on time and on budget – minimizing delays and maximizing profit. The WheelTime Network is comprised of 16 independent Member companies and 152 service locations across the U.S. and Canada.
Follow the Beyond the Wrench Podcast
Don’t miss a single episode — follow to the Beyond the Wrench podcast! The Beyond the Wrench podcast is available on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Music
- iHeart Radio
- TuneIn + Alexa
- And more!