In this week’s episode of Beyond the Wrench, we are joined by Brian Hebert, Technical Service and Training Manager, Toyota North America. We discuss how having effective communication can lead to higher employee retention. Brian shares his insight on strategies you can use to successfully keep technicians in the shop and in the industry.
Watch the Full Episode
Understanding the Business Process
- Share information on how technicians and everyone plays a part in contributing to the business as a whole.
- As managers, be transparent about financial numbers and goals. Then, If someone asks for a raise you have the number to show.
- Know your role in the business process, but also know everyone else’s role and how they all work together.
Communicating the Big Picture
- Take a step back, and look at it from both ends. Service managers have big shoes to fill, and so do technicians.
- As a service manager, be honest with monthly/quarterly objectives. Be sure to be clear in explaining what your goals and objectives are.
- Have frequent meetings to discuss goals. Then, if you ask a technician to stay longer, it doesn’t look like you’re taking advantage of them. You can show them the goals that need to be met, and how you can help to achieve them.
- Everyone in the shop needs to work as one. So if a technician sees another car on their rack, they’ll know where it came from and why it is there.
Identify your “Why”
- Why are you doing what you’re doing? How does it affect the business model?
- There are people who are natural born leaders, but you still have to work at being a leader and understand how people want to be led.
- It‘s important to ask the people you’re leading if they understand what is expected of them.
- Everyone needs to be focused on the “why.” Give updates on how we’re working to reach our goals and when goals are achieved.
- Hold everyone accountable for their own actions.
- Build trust, and show your technicians you have their best interest in mind. When people believe in you, they will go the extra mile.
Technician Retention Tips for Shops & Dealerships
Download the free WrenchWay app in the App Store or on Google Play:
- App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1534587616
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wrenchway.insiders
About Our Host:
Co- Founder & President, WrenchWay
firstname.lastname@example.org | 608.716.2122
About Our Guest:
Technical Service and Training Manager, Toyota North America
Follow the Beyond the Wrench Podcast
Don’t miss a single episode — follow to the Beyond the Wrench podcast! The Beyond the Wrench podcast is available on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Music
- iHeart Radio
- TuneIn + Alexa
- And more!