In this week’s episode of Beyond the Wrench, Craig Zale, CEO, Craig’s Car Care joins us. Craig shares his perspective on investing in training, the importance of culture, and how to be profitable.
Watch the Full Episode
Investing in Training
- For most people in this industry, if we’re not trying and learning new things, we get bored and stagnant.
- As a shop owner/manager, invest in your people to attend training. Make sure everybody’s getting what they need to be successful in their role.
- If technicians are going to training during work hours, there might be some production loss. However, it is something we have to do as our industry evolves.
- As electric vehicles and Advanced Driver Assistance Systems become more common, we’re going to see a big transition and it will be a major investment. Technicians have to be well-trained to do it. Take the time to learn these new skills to stay up-to-date.
Importance of Culture
- The new buzzword is culture. Until five or six years ago, culture really wasn’t a buzzword. Now, it’s all about culture and work-life balance.
- Everybody wants to like the people they work with. We spend a lot of time in our place of business, so it’s important to come in and enjoy the people we’re around.
- When hiring new technicians, you want to ensure they fit in with the company culture. If we’re talking with applicants and their personality stinks, we won’t hire them—even if they have the most impressive technical skills.
How to Be Profitable
- As a shop owner, Craig loves working on vehicles so much that if he could, he’d do it for free, but that’s not the reality. As a shop owner, you are responsible for the entire company’s well-being. You have to do what’s necessary to take care of them.
- There’s too much honest money out there to be dishonest. There’s so much maintenance and great service we can provide to people. You can be 100% honest and truthful and still give your clients a high-quality repair.
- It’s critical as owners to get all the training and don’t stop when you think you know everything. If you’re not learning, networking, and moving forward, then you’re moving backward.
- As long as you deliver on what you say you’re going to do. People will trust you and pay for value.
Learn more about WrenchWay’s Loneliest Number game
Download the free WrenchWay app in the App Store or on Google Play:
- App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1534587616
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wrenchway.insiders
About Our Host:
Co-Founder & President, WrenchWay
firstname.lastname@example.org | 608.716.2122
About Our Guest:
CEO, Craig’s Car Care
Sonic Tools’ direct distribution model offers affordable prices, without sacrificing quality and service. Their goal is to increase the efficiency of every technician with equipment solutions and Sonic Foam System that organizes quality tools in ways that award every technician with the opportunity to excel. Visit sonictoolsusa.com to learn more.
Follow the Beyond the Wrench Podcast
Don’t miss a single episode — follow the Beyond the Wrench podcast! The Beyond the Wrench podcast is available on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Music
- iHeart Radio
- TuneIn + Alexa
- And more!