In this week’s episode of Beyond the Wrench, we are joined by Eric Villa, CEO & Founder, Diesel Garage Foundation. Eric shares with us some of the biggest barriers he sees for young people looking to join this industry and become an automotive, collision, or diesel technician.
Watch the Full Episode
Cost and Tool Barrier
- Getting an education can come at a great cost. Cost is the biggest deterrent.
- As a student, it’s important to take advantage of student discounts through tool companies.
- Ensure new technicians are buying tools that will set them up for success down the road.
- Don’t start off buying a fancy new tool box; buy the tools first. Then, once a collection of tools is built, buy the new tool box.
- The cost of education can be a big burden. As a new technician, try not to add more debt with tool costs and create a budget/payment plan.
- It starts with getting the trades back in the schools. Schools are slowly getting rid of shop classes at the high school level.
- Technicians can get in as an apprentice and do on-the-job training without the cost of a college degree.
- Trades are constantly growing and the industry will always need people to join.
- We need doctors and lawyers, but we need the trades too. Schools need to show students the need and success they can have in this field.
“Getting students enticed at a younger age from the high school side is a little bit more difficult because we’re missing the shop classes. We need to get shop classes back into the schools.”
Eric Villa, CEO & Founder, Diesel Garage Foundation
Download the free WrenchWay app in the App Store or on Google Play:
- App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1534587616
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wrenchway.insiders
About Our Host:
Co-Founder & President, WrenchWay
firstname.lastname@example.org | 608.716.2122
About Our Guest:
CEO & Founder, Diesel Garage Foundation
Follow the Beyond the Wrench Podcast
Don’t miss a single episode — follow to the Beyond the Wrench podcast! The Beyond the Wrench podcast is available on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Music
- iHeart Radio
- TuneIn + Alexa
- And more!