Under The Hood
Is the shop heated? Air conditioned?
The shop is heated during the winter but there is no A/C
What is the size of the team I’d be working with?
6-8 technicians, 2 installers, 2 service writers, 1 route sales, 1 account manager, 2 parts people
What are the shop hours and what are the shift timeframes?
Shop hours: Monday-Friday, 7-10pm Shifts are 7:00am-3:30pm, 3:00 pm-10:00pm
What tools does the shop provide that are available for all technicians to use?
Most OEM specialty tools, specialty Thermo King tools, diagnostic laptops are available for use, reclaiming units, vacuum pumps, any large shop equipment
What type of break room facility is provided?
Climate controlled break room has kitchenette with a TV
How many bays does your shop have?
4 Bays at this location
How many repair orders do you average per month?
We average 250 repair orders monthly
What is your parts ordering process?
The technicians work with our parts department for their parts needs
What is your policy on side work?
An associate who engages in outside employment assumes the responsibility to ensure that such employment does not, in any way, interfere with their responsibilities to meet Transport Refrigeration’s performance expectation or in any way compete with Transport Refrigeration
Are there any other unique features of the work environment worth noting?
Recession proof industry because this is an essential business. This is a unique environment where we offer emergency services for the trucking industry.
Do you offer any skills training or continuing education opportunities?
Yes, we offer on the job training with computer based learning. We also offer Thermo King courses and certifications.
Can you describe opportunities for career growth at your business?
We are a nation-wide company that prefers to promote within whether that be with cross training or into a management role
Can you describe your performance review process?
We do performance based reviews; we also meet with our technicians several times each year to discuss their development path.
What type of safety training is required?
Fall protection, overhead crane, forklift training, trailer spotting equipment, First aid and CPR training as needed.
Can you describe how Techs work with and mentor younger techs?
More experienced technicians work with newer technicians through on the job training that covers best practices, diagnostic, and technical applications.
How does your shop get involved with the local community?
We invite local high schools to visit the shop. We offer apprentice programs for high school students interested in a hands on program.
Do you do anything with local high schools or tech schools to encourage more students to enter the profession?
We offer tours for local high schools and apprenticeships for high school students.
Where do you see the shop in five years?
We continue to expand services provided to our customers. In other locations we are doing major trailer repair, and DOT inspections. Our sister company TRS services trucks, trailers, and APUs.
Is there anything else you’d like to mention about career development and community?
Because we service specialized equipment the majority of the training is done in house, on the job. Without hands on experience, gaining the knowledge needed to effectively service this equipment is very difficult. Once our technicians graduate to the Master level of certifications with Thermo King they are highly skilled at diagnosing and troubleshooting complex systems.
Do you have an application form and how long does it typically take to complete?
Yes. We have an online application form that typically takes 10 minutes to complete. Please visit us at https://www.trcompanies.com/careers.
Do you phone screen applicants before doing in-person interviews?
Yes. Once an applicant applies our recruiter contacts them to set up short 15 minute phone interview to discuss their previous experience.
What do your in-person interviews entail?
Our in person interviews are typically one hour with the applicant meeting with the Operations Manager of the location. Topics discussed will be past work experience, skill level determination, career goals, and ultimately to see if their are a good fit for the company culture.
Do you perform background checks, drug screening, or personality tests before hiring an applicant?
We perform a background check along with a Motor Vehicle Record check for candidates after their onsite interview. We perform a drug screen before employment begins.
Do you perform a skill assessment before hiring an applicant? If yes, what does it entail?
After an in-person interview, approximately how long should I expect to wait for a rejection or an offer?
A candidate that interviews well will typically will go through a background check that can take 1-7 days to complete. Once the background check comes back, the candidate is sent an offer letter and a clinic appointment for a pre-employment drug screen. If a candidate is not the right fit for the role, they will usually receive a rejection notice within 72 hours.
Approximately how long does the full hiring process take from submitting the application to the time of the hiring decision?
The hiring process can take anywhere from 1-3 weeks to complete.
Pay Range: $40,000 - $45,000/year
($19.23 - $21.63/hr)
Pay is based on experience level. We offer monthly and quarterly bonuses for Installers. All of our Installers are eligible for the following: -Quarterly shop bonus up to $4,000/year -Monthly Productivity bonus up to $6,000/year -Ability to advance to TK Technician -Paid on the job training -Monday through Friday schedule. No weekends!
TK Entry Level Technician
Pay Range: $45,000 - $55,000/year
($21.63 - $26.44/hr)
Pay is based on experience level. We offer monthly and quarterly bonuses for technicians. All of our TK Technicians are eligible for the following: -$10,000 New Hire Incentive Program for your first year -Quarterly shop bonus up to $4,000/year -Monthly Productivity bonus up to $6,000/year -Tuition reimbursement up to $7,200 -Raises for obtaining certifications and joining on call rotation
TK Master Technician
Pay Range: $55,000 - $80,000/year
Pay is based on experience level. We offer monthly and quarterly bonuses for technicians All of our Master TK Technicians are eligible for the following: -Quarterly shop bonus up to $4,000/year -Monthly Productivity bonus up to $6,000/year -Bonus pay for in on-call rotation
Pay Range: $45,000 - $62,000/year
Pay is based on experience level. We offer monthly and quarterly bonuses for trailer technicians. All of our Trailer Technicians are eligible for the following: -Quarterly shop bonus up to $4,000/year -Monthly Productivity bonus up to $6,000/year
- Health Insurance Offered
- We offer health insurance through Anthem. Full time associates are eligible for coverage the 1st of the month following 60 days of employment. Associates are able to choose between the following: -Anthem Traditional plan which induces a $2,000 deductible for singles and a $4,000 deductible for families. -Anthem Health Savings Account (HSA) Plan that has a $4,000 deductible for singles and an $8,000 deductible for families. Associates who choose this plan also receive company provided funds into their HSA account.
- Dental Insurance Offered
- We offer dental insurance through Delta Dental. Full time associates are eligible for coverage the 1st of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Vision Insurance Offered
- We offer vision insurance through Delta Vision. Full time associates are eligible for coverage the 1st of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Retirement Plan Offered
- We offer a 401k plan through JP Morgan. All employees are auto-enrolled to contribute to their 401k on the first of the month following 60 days of employment at a 1% rate. Employer match at $0.50 per $1.00 you contribute up to 5% of your compensation.
- Sick Leave Offered
- Part of the paid time off (PTO) program
- Vacation Offered
- We offer a competitive paid time off (PTO) policy that starts accruing day one of employment. PTO is earned every pay period and is able to be used as soon as it's earned. New full time associates can expect to earn 12 days off their first year in addition to the paid holidays.
- Paid Holidays Offered
- We offer 7 Paid Holidays for our associates. Full time associates are eligible for paid holidays the first of the month following 60 days of employment. The holidays are: -New Years Day -Memorial Day -Fourth of July -Labor Day -Thanksgiving Day -Christmas Day -Floating Holiday (Day after Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve)
- ST / LT Disability Offered
- We offer a 100% company paid Long-Term Disability. We offer a Short-Term Disability plan that associates can opt in to.
- Life Insurance Offered
- We offer life insurance that is 100% company paid that is equivalent to 1 X annual salary. Associates are able to opt in to additional life insurance options as well.
- Uniforms Offered
- Uniforms are provided to associates at no cost.
- Other Offered
- Associates are offered a $75 boot allowance for their work shoes. Any associate that requires a prescription for their safety glasses is also offered a $100 allowance towards purchasing safety glasses per year.
This shop has not yet added any Shop Talk posts.