Under The Hood
Is the shop heated? Air conditioned?
The shop is heated, and kept cool in the summer with large fans.
What is the size of the team I’d be working with?
The Allison team is made up of a mighty, collaborative team of 6. Two journey level technicians, one service advisor, a supervisor, a sales manager and the vice president of Allison distribution. Technicians typically work independently, but it depends on the scope of the job. Some jobs require more than one technician to complete. Also, occasional field service work may be required.
What are the shop hours and what are the shift timeframes?
Monday - Friday One shift, 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM Occasional overtime
What tools does the shop provide that are available for all technicians to use?
You need your own personal basic set of tools and the shop provides a long list of specialty tools.
What type of break room facility is provided?
Nice breakroom, temperature controlled with coffee/water station, refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, sink, tables and chairs, as well as a locker room with restroom, shower and lockers.
How many bays does your shop have?
The shop has a total of 18 bays and 9 of the bays are designated for Allison work.
How many repair orders do you average per month?
60-100 per month
What is your parts ordering process?
The technician brings the parts request to the parts person, on location, for processing.
What is your policy on side work?
Employees cannot work for direct competitor of Pacific Power Group.
Do you offer any skills training or continuing education opportunities?
Yes, a full suite of Allison training, that is web based and instructor led. The training is ongoing, from entry level to journey level, in order to meet Allison's certification requirements. As a company, Pacific Power Group, has an Educational Assistance program that reimburses an eligible employee's tuition for classes attended or degree attained at an accredited school, college, university or certification program.
Can you describe opportunities for career growth at your business?
Extensive learning opportunities to be achieved and sustain Allison certifications, annual compensation increases, and opportunities with Pacific Power Group to move into operations, sales, and service roles, which include management and leadership.
Can you describe your performance review process?
A performance review every 6 months for technicians that are below journey level. Journey level technicians receive a performance review annually.
What type of safety training is required?
Prior to starting the job there is approximately 13.5 hours of required safety training, most of which is web based training. The training includes, but is not limited to, emergency action plans, fall prevention and protection, driving, personal protective equipment, hazard and hazmat, electric, fire systems and working in confined spaces. Training is ongoing, and can require refreshers triannual, biannual to annual.
Can you describe how Techs work with and mentor younger techs?
Journey level technicians have less experienced technicians work closely with them on service, maintenance, repairs and overhaul jobs, with the objective to have them learn and master skills in order to be able to work independently.
How does your shop get involved with the local community?
Throughout the year our shop is involved in food drives, Holiday giving, and fundraising for non-profit organizations. We recognize the importance of giving back to our community and one of the ways we encourage our employees to give back is by paying them 4 hours of volunteer time each year.
Do you do anything with local high schools or tech schools to encourage more students to enter the profession?
We actively participate and are part of advisory boards for our local high schools and colleges with diesel engine programs.
Where do you see the shop in five years?
We expect incremental growth.
Is there anything else you’d like to mention about career development and community?
Pacific Power Group's Allison division specializes in Allison transmissions and we work only on Allison products. We are the Allison distributor, as well as Allison certified trainer for the Pacific Northwest and Northern California. Pacific Power Group is recognized as an industry expert in the Allison Technician Guild, which promotes ongoing service professional development.
Do you have an application form and how long does it typically take to complete?
Online application, with 5-10 screening questions. Takes approximately 10-15 minutes to complete application. A resume and/or work history is required.
Do you phone screen applicants before doing in-person interviews?
Yes, qualified candidates will be contacted for a 30-minute phone interview.
What do your in-person interviews entail?
It is a 1-hour structured interview with a panel of 2-3 people, which typically is made up the hiring manager, foreman/supervisor and HR representative.
Do you perform background checks, drug screening, or personality tests before hiring an applicant?
Background check-yes Drug Screen Test-yes Driving Abstract-yes
Do you perform a skill assessment before hiring an applicant? If yes, what does it entail?
Yes, two skill test assessments. The first one is a basic technical assessment. The second technical assessment is more challenging.
After an in-person interview, approximately how long should I expect to wait for a rejection or an offer?
Anywhere from 2 days to one week.
Approximately how long does the full hiring process take from submitting the application to the time of the hiring decision?
Journey Level Allison Transmission Technician
Pay Range: $34 - $40/hour
Starting pay based on skills, experience and certification requirements met and outlined in the union Collective Bargaining Agreement. All employees shall receive a general wage increase once a year.
Allison Transmission Technician-Entry Level
Pay Range: $22 - $25/hour
Starting pay based on skills and experience. Apprentices shall receive performance reviews every 6 months, with the potential of pay raises at that time if merited.
- Health Insurance Offered
- Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield HSA Plan Classic Plan Engage Plan Starts the 1st of the month, following start date
- Dental Insurance Offered
- The Standard Starts the 1st of the month, following start date
- Vision Insurance Offered
- VSP Starts the 1st of the month, following start date
- Retirement Plan Offered
- Company 401K Plan - Principal New hires are auto enrolled at 6% within the first two weeks of employment. Pacific Power Group Companies matches up to 4%, this is based on a 50% match; therefore, you must contribute at 8% to receive the full company match. You are vested in employer contributions based on years of vesting service in which you worked at least 1,000 hours. The vesting schedule is: Less than 2 years= 0%; 2 years= 40%; 3 years= 70%; 4 years= 100%
- Sick Leave Offered
- Offer PTO Time: accrual starts at 15 days per year
- Vacation Offered
- Offer PTO Time: accrual starts at 15 days per year
- Paid Holidays Offered
- 9 Annual Company Paid Holidays New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving & Day After, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day. Floating Holiday: Observe any day of your choice! (Must be used in a given calendar year and not eligible for rollover)
- ST / LT Disability Offered
- Short Term Disability/Income Protection Insurance, employee costs per month is $1.60 Long Term Disability/Income Protection Insurance, premium cost is based on wage
- Life Insurance Offered
- Group Term Life Insurance Coverage, 1x annual salary, and company pays 100% of the cost Supplemental Life Insurance for Employee, Spouse and Children
- Uniforms Offered
- Coveralls and Jacket with PPG logo/name provided Prescription Safety Glasses Reimbursement Annual Safety Footwear Allowance
- Other Offered
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance Coverage, company pays 100% of the cost. Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Employee Assistance Program (EAP), counseling sessions Supplement Benefits include Accident Plan, Hospital Plan, & Critical Illness Plan Parental Leave Volunteer Leave Educational Assistance for classes or degrees Bereavement Leave Referral Bonuses