Under The Hood
Is the shop heated? Air conditioned?
The shop is ventilated with high ceiling fans
What is the size of the team I’d be working with?
34-37 Technicians all level of certifications and 3 Foremen
What are the shop hours and what are the shift timeframes?
The Shop hours are from 7:30am-7:00pm Monday-Friday and 8:00am-5:00pm on Saturdays Shifts for most Technicians are from 8:00am-5:00pm and 9:00am-6:00pm Monday-Friday, and 8:00am-5:00pm on Saturdays.
What tools does the shop provide that are available for all technicians to use?
All BMW special tools per repair instructions for all models
What type of break room facility is provided?
We have a break room next to the shop with microwaves, toaster, refrigerators and snacks for purchase
How many bays does your shop have?
60 bays total plus 1 alignment lift
How many repair orders do you average per month?
What is your parts ordering process?
All requests are made using the DMS system (Tekion)
What is your policy on side work?
Working on personal vehicles is permitted with an open repair order
Do you offer any skills training or continuing education opportunities?
BMW offers ongoing training courses to all Technicians looking to move up in their certification levels
Can you describe opportunities for career growth at your business?
Pacific BMW has a culture of promoting from within. We have different internal opening opportunities throughout the year and encourage our employees to apply and grow with us.
Can you describe your performance review process?
We do annual performance reviews or as needed based on the manager's discretion.
What type of safety training is required?
We have an online platform to provide safety training courses that are reviewed on a quarterly basis.
Can you describe how Techs work with and mentor younger techs?
New/younger techs are being mentored by working with certified BMW techs and foremen.
How does your shop get involved with the local community?
We are in partnership with a local college and high school. The shop is open for internships and student visits.
Do you do anything with local high schools or tech schools to encourage more students to enter the profession?
Yes, we work with local high schools and tech schools and offer internship opportunities and tours to expose the younger generations to the auto field environment.
Where do you see the shop in five years?
The shop will have more high voltage certified technicians and less cars with a combustible engine.
Do you have an application form and how long does it typically take to complete?
Yes, it takes about 10 minutes to fill out the application.
Do you phone screen applicants before doing in-person interviews?
Yes we do, you would typically get a phone call from People Ops or from the Shop Manager.
What do your in-person interviews entail?
A series of questions about your experience and job knowledge with some scenario questions.
Do you perform background checks, drug screening, or personality tests before hiring an applicant?
Yes, we perform background checks, drug tests and motor vehicle record check.
Do you perform a skill assessment before hiring an applicant? If yes, what does it entail?
After an in-person interview, approximately how long should I expect to wait for a rejection or an offer?
About 2-5 business days.
Approximately how long does the full hiring process take from submitting the application to the time of the hiring decision?
About a week.
Is there anything else you’d like to mention about your hiring process?
We required all of our employees to be vaccinated against Covid-19.
A Level Technician
A Level Technicians are highly skilled technicians that have strengths in their diagnostic and mechanical ability. This level of technician typically has many years of experience and education. We view an A Level Technician as the highest skilled technician in a shop
Pay Range: $64,480 - $225,000/year
($31.00 - $108.17/hr)
The A Level Technician are highly skilled Master Techs and follow a Payplan with a bonus structure.
B Level Technician
B Level Technicians are skilled in mechanical repair and, while not their specialty, have some diagnostic skills. B Level Technicians generally have a fair amount of experience and can be trusted to handle most repairs.
Pay Range: $18 - $24/hour
The B Level Technician are skilled Maintenance Technicians and have an hourly rate and follow a bonus structure.
Student Tech / Apprentice
Student technicians work on entry level tasks while completing their school programs.
Pay Range: $18 - $24/hour
Technician Trainees generally have limited experience and only earn an hourly rate.
Collision Technician - A Level
Pay Range: $64,480 - $150,000/year
($31.00 - $72.12/hr)
The Collision Master Technician has a Pay Plan with a flag rate used for purposes of calculating the gross personal revenue and your personal revenue bonus
Pay Range: $17 - $19/hour
Qualifications One year minimum of automotive body technician experience with European vehicles ICAR courses and ASE certifications are a plus but not required Any OEM factory training is preferred but not necessary Basic knowledge of auto parts, systems, tool usage and knowledge (tools are provided) Must be able to multi-task in all phases of body repair Results-driven with great organizational skills Great team-player, responsive and proactive Current Driver's License with a clean driving record High School Diploma or Equivalent Must comply with company safety rules, guidelines and standards Job Duties Work closely with Repair Planners for proper triage of disassembly work for the day Research and follow BMW repair manual instructions for proper disassembly of components Disassemble collision damaged vehicles and assess damage (including removal of glass) without breaking re-used components Perform test drives and Pre-Scanning of vehicle to determine relevant faults to the accident Perform a wheel alignment check on vehicles with wheel/tire/suspension impacts Ensure completed disassembly work meets quality standard Wrap/Protect/Store disassembled parts, categorize all hardware following parts cart standards Keep work area well-organized and clean using safe work habits
- Health Insurance Offered
- We offer enrollment into medical coverage with Pacific BMW paying 75% of the medical choice for the employee only. Dependents are also eligible for enrollment at the cost of the employee. Currently, we offer two HMO plans and a POS plan with Kaiser. Medical plans and premiums offered vary each year so please see People Operations for more detailed information
- Dental Insurance Offered
- You may choose between the CalDental HMO or the Standard PPO dental plans.
- Vision Insurance Offered
- Eye care and eyewear services are offered through the EyeMed PPO network.
- Retirement Plan Offered
- Pacific Dealership Group Retirement Plan has been adopted to provide you with the opportunity to save for retirement on a tax advantaged basis. As a participant under the 401K Plan, you may elect to contribute a portion of your compensation to the Plan and may receive a discretionary employer match. Employees are eligible to participate in the Plan after they have completed one full year of service with the Dealership.
- Sick Leave Offered
- Sick time is given to employees so that they are able to attend to both their pre-planned and/or unexpected health needs throughout the year. At the beginning of each calendar year, eligible full-time employees will be granted 48 hours or six (6) days of paid sick leave. Sick time may be used in two hour increments. Full-time employees hired during a calendar year will be granted paid sick leave on a pro-rated basis.
- Vacation Offered
- Vacation accrues based on years of service with Pacific BMW as is defined below. The rate of pay for Vacation as defined by your position with Pacific BMW. Vacation time must be requested and approved thirty days in advance. The total amount of vacation time that can be accrued is 200 hours OR 25 days. Vacation time may be cashed out after the employee begins accruing vacation time with a maximum of 5 days of vacation time once in a 12-month rolling period.
- Paid Holidays Offered
- The Dealership will be closed for business on Thanksgiving Day & Christmas Day. In addition to that, Administration and After-Sales will be closed for New Year’s Day.
- ST / LT Disability Offered
- Pacific BMW offers all full-time benefits eligible employees the ability to purchase disability insurance through Aflac and American Fidelity.
- Life Insurance Offered
- Pacific BMW provides all full-time benefits eligible employees with the following employer paid life insurance, through Standard: $25,000 Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Policy
- Uniforms Offered
- We provide uniforms after the first week of employment.
- Other Offered
- We also offer a complimentary Employee Assistance Program that includes Travel Assistance. The EAP is usually a good place to start when seeking counseling and other assistance for a broad range of personal issues, such as: - Parenting - Relationships - Identity Theft and Fraud Resolution - Stress - Locate Childcare - Financial issues (budgeting, debt manage-ment, preparing for retirement, etc.) This program is available 24/7, to you and your dependents, at no cost and provides confidential professional assessments and short-term counseling and referral assistance.
After a 4 year hiatus, Pacific BMW partnered up with Risk Strategies Insurance brokers to bring the sports-themed Health Fair back to the dealership. We had over 20 vendors exhibit their products and services, the Kaiser Health Mobile truck checking employees' blood pressure, glucose levels and BMI's for free and free mini massages. All attendees were automatically entered into the raffle and here is the list of employee the winners:
Top Shop Challenge: Memorial Day is the unofficial start to summer. Does your shop do anything special either for Memorial Day or in general during the summer?
Our Pacific BMW After-Sales managers took out different tools for Memorial day and treated all employees to a delicious barbecue! Grateful to those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation's freedom and grateful for those who share their culinary skills for others to enjoy at work!
The BMW Group National AfterSales Conference wanted to highlight four Managers/Directors at different times during the general session to show what unique things dealerships were doing during their "game changer" segment this year.