Under The Hood
Is the shop heated? Air conditioned?
The shop has Heat and A/C
What is the size of the team I’d be working with?
Approximately 10 members of service team
What are the shop hours and what are the shift timeframes?
The shop hours are Monday-Friday 7:00am-3:30pm
What tools does the shop provide that are available for all technicians to use?
The shop provides diagnostic scan tools, general fabrication tooling, welding, vehicle lifts, various hand tools, parts washers and more.
What type of break room facility is provided?
We have a complete employee lounge with refrigerators, microwaves, coffee machines and a kitchen sink. The breakroom is shared by all employees.
How many bays does your shop have?
How many repair orders do you average per month?
The shop averages 50 or more repair orders per month
What is your parts ordering process?
We have a back counter parts department that is attached directly to the shop for ease of access.
What is your policy on side work?
We do not allow side work to be performed.
Do you offer any skills training or continuing education opportunities?
We offer multiple manufacturer skills training and continuing education courses. A few are listed below. - International Bus (Navistar) - Ford - Cummins - Bendix - Braun - Fire Suppression We also support our technicians as the pursue additional continuing education opportunities. - ASE Certification Reimbursement - CDL Certification - 609 Certification - DOT Inspection Certification
Can you describe opportunities for career growth at your business?
We offer career coaching and technicians mentorship programs to help grow entry level technicians into Master technicians. Technicians have several manufacture training paths they can pursue should they be interested willing and able that can enhance their career growth within and outside of Model 1.
Can you describe your performance review process?
Your performance is important and we will provide coaching and mentoring along the way to help you be successful and reach your full potential. Your performance will be evaluated closely during your first 90 days and thereafter you will have an annual performance review.
What type of safety training is required?
As a family-owned business, the health and safety of our employees is always our priority and Model 1 has an award-winning safety program. Model 1 utilizes a third-party software that provides various training modules and topics. All safety training is provided by the company and completed during working hours.
Can you describe how Techs work with and mentor younger techs?
Our service facilities are designed to offer on-line and in-person training for all employees. Continuous education is critical as technology continues to advance, which is why we utilize various training methods to continuously train new and experienced employees. New employees are paired with experienced technicians who help guide them during their initial employment period.
How does your shop get involved with the local community?
Model 1 believes the local community is critical to our success, which is why we partner with various organizations at various times of the year that support the community. Additionally, our community depends on safe and reliable transportation to get to where they need to be. We also believe that transportation should be more environmentally friendly, which is why our organization has invested heavily in cleaner fuels. Our communities deserve safe, reliable, and clean transportation.
Do you do anything with local high schools or tech schools to encourage more students to enter the profession?
Model 1 works with various schools around the country to share about who we are and what we do. During these visits, we love to answer questions and provide guidance on how to interview for a job as a technician and we will provide resume guidance as needed.
Where do you see the shop in five years?
Model 1 has and continuous to experience unprecedented growth as demand for vehicle maintenance increases. As a leader in the alternative fuels space, Model 1 has often been an early adopter of new and emerging technologies. This focus ensures the continued growth of our facilities, and we anticipate to continue expanding into new areas and technologies.
Is there anything else you’d like to mention about career development and community?
We are always looking for innovative ways to pursue further education and provide many avenues for Technicians to acquire more knowledge.
Do you have an application form and how long does it typically take to complete?
Yes, we do have you complete an application, and this should only take you 10 to 15 minutes to complete.
Do you phone screen applicants before doing in-person interviews?
Yes, we do typically complete a phone interview prior to doing an in-person interview. There are some exceptions to this though.
What do your in-person interviews entail?
We want to learn about you, your skills and what you are looking for within your position or the company you would be working with. It is important to us that we also share our culture and expectations to ensure full alignment.
Do you perform background checks, drug screening, or personality tests before hiring an applicant?
Yes, we do background checks, drug screening and physical on all employees prior to their start date.
Do you perform a skill assessment before hiring an applicant? If yes, what does it entail?
Yes, this is a verbal review of your skills and abilities along with discussions regarding certifications.
After an in-person interview, approximately how long should I expect to wait for a rejection or an offer?
We usually make decisions within 24 to 48 business hours.
Approximately how long does the full hiring process take from submitting the application to the time of the hiring decision?
Approximately one week.
Is there anything else you’d like to mention about your hiring process?
We are looking for the win/win! In other words, we want this to be a good fit for you and for us.
A Level Technician
A Level Technicians are highly skilled technicians that have strengths in their diagnostic and mechanical ability. This level of technician typically has many years of experience and education. We view an A Level Technician as the highest skilled technician in a shop
Pay Range: $24 - $42/hour
Hourly rate depends on location, experience and skill level.
B Level Technician
B Level Technicians are skilled in mechanical repair and, while not their specialty, have some diagnostic skills. B Level Technicians generally have a fair amount of experience and can be trusted to handle most repairs.
Pay Range: $19 - $28/hour
Hourly rate depends on location, experience and skill level.
C Level Technician
C Level Technicians are more of entry level technicians. C Level Technicians’ responsibilities typically include basic maintenance, alignments, brake and suspension work, along with other base level repairs.
Pay Range: $18 - $23/hour
Hourly rate depends on location, experience and skill level.
Service Advisors are primarily customer focused and, as one of the faces of the shop, they are critical in keeping customers happy. Service Advisors are frequently focused on taking customer calls, relaying information to technicians, and selling repair jobs. Both technical and sales experience are helpful for this position.
Pay Range: $15 - $27/hour
Hourly rate depends on experience and skill level.
- Health Insurance Offered
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield (New employees become eligible for benefits effective on the first day of the month following their date of employment, provided you have completed the enrollment process and all required information and documents. You have the option to choose between two HSA-Qualified Plans or two Preferred Provider Plans through Anthem. Both the PPO and HSA- Qualified Health Insurance Plans: •Cover preventive care, such as your annual routine physical and related preventive tests at 100% with no deductible or copayment •Cover the same types of medical expenses and have the same exclusions •Have an unlimited lifetime maximum benefit •Meet and exceed the minimum coverage requirement under the Affordable Care Act.
- Dental Insurance Offered
- Lincoln Financial Group (New employees become eligible for benefits effective on the first day of the month following their date of employment, provided you have completed the enrollment process and all required information and documents. You have the option to enroll in the HMO or one of two PPO dental insurance plans, administered by Lincoln Financial Group. You do not need to be enrolled in the health insurance plan to enroll in dental insurance.
- Vision Insurance Offered
- Lincoln Financial Group New employees become eligible for benefits effective on the first day of the month following their date of employment, provided you have completed the enrollment process and all required information and documents. You have the option to enroll in a vision insurance plan through Lincoln Financial Group. You will save money by using Lincoln in-network providers. You may visit www.lfg.com to find participating providers in your area.
- Retirement Plan Offered
- 401K Plan After 6 months of employment, effective the 1st of the following month – Full Time Only
- Sick Leave Offered
- Model 1 provides paid sick leave to employees who have worked thirty (30) or more days at the company within a year of their employment with the Company. Eligible employees will receive twenty-four (24) hours or three (3) days of paid sick leave each year. Beginning on the 90th day of employment, employees may begin to use paid sick leave. This benefit does not accrue. Unused sick time will not be carried over from year to year. At the beginning of each year marked by each employee’s work anniversary, the company will gran employees the full twenty-four (24) hours or three (3) days of paid sick leave. Sick leave can be taken in 1-minute increments.
- Vacation Offered
- Model 1 appreciates how hard employees work and recognizes the importance of providing time for rest and relaxation. Model 1 fully encourages employees to get this rest by taking time off. Non-Exempt Full-Time employees will be eligible to receive vacation. Full-time employees will be eligible to accrue vacation beginning upon their date of hire. Actual accrual amounts will be determined by the level of job position as determined at the time of hire.
- Paid Holidays Offered
- Upon date of hire, full-time employees will receive these specific holidays off with pay any time they fall on a normally scheduled workday for the employee. Each calendar year the Company will distribute a schedule of the year’s holiday’s However, the Company reserves the right to change or eliminate paid holidays with or without notice. If a recognized holiday falls on a Saturday, the Company will generally observe the holiday on the Friday before the holiday. If a recognized holiday falls on a Sunday, the Company will generally observe the holiday on the Monday after the holiday. To be eligible for holiday pay, you must work your last scheduled day before the holiday and the first scheduled day after the holiday, unless your supervisor has pre-approved at least 48 hours in advance, vacation on those days. Employees on leave are not eligible for holiday pay. New Year’s Day Martin Luther King Day Memorial Day Independence Day Labor Day Veteran’s Day(observed) Thanksgiving Day Christmas Day
- ST / LT Disability Offered
- Disability Insurance New employees become eligible for benefits effective on the first day of the month following their date of employment, provided you have completed the enrollment process and all required information and documents. Short term disability insurance provides you with weekly income if you become disabled due to nonoccupational injury or illness Long term disability insurance helps protect you and your family’s income in the event of a long-term illness or disability. You may elect LTD in addition to Short Term Disability or by itself.
- Life Insurance Offered
- Lincoln Financial Group New employees become eligible for benefits effective on the first day of the month following their date of employment, provided you have completed the enrollment process and all required information and documents. Basic Life and AD&D Insurance •Model 1 provides you with a $15,000 basic life and AD&D benefit through Lincoln Financial Group. Basic Life and AD&D is provided to you at NO COST TO YOU. Supplemental Term Life Insurance •Term life insurance is an important part of your benefits. It’s not easy to think about, but an unexpected death in the family could burden the surviving family members with large expenses on less income. Purchasing additional term life insurance could assist your loved ones with mortgage payments, funeral expenses, medical expenses, childcare expenses, Etc •Guaranteed issue amounts are available to you one time as a new hire at your initial benefits eligibility.
- Uniforms Offered
- Uniforms provided
- Other Offered
- Hospital Indemnity Insurance New employees become eligible for benefits effective on the first day of the month following their date of employment, provided you have completed the enrollment process and all required information and documents. Model 1 provides Hospital Indemnity Insurance for employees enrolled in any of the medical plan options. This is provided to employees at NO COST. You can also elect to enroll your family members. Hospital indemnity insurance helps covered employees and their families cope with the financial impact of a hospitalization. You can receive benefits when you are admitted to the hospital for a covered accident, illness, or childbirth. The money is paid directly to you. You can use the money to help pay out of pocket expenses your medical plan may not cover such as deductibles, coinsurance, and copays. Employee Assistance Program – Lincoln Financial Group Model 1 pays the full cost of this coverage for you. The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is designed to help you and your family members with life challenges. The EAP gives you unlimited phone sessions and up to 5 face to face sessions per incident per year. You have access to a network of licensed and/or certified professionals who can provide confidential support for a variety of matters. Employee Discount Programs • Amusement parks • Gym memberships • Discount with Verizon Wireless
This shop has not yet added any Shop Talk posts.