Under The Hood
Is the shop heated? Air conditioned?
What is the size of the team I’d be working with?
What are the shop hours and what are the shift timeframes?
7:30am-4:30pm, or 8:30am-5:30pm (Monday-Friday)
What tools does the shop provide that are available for all technicians to use?
Not only do we provide the required OEM tools, Kunes Auto Group also offers a tool program so new techs are able to get started right away with a set of tools and a box they are able to earn free and clear over the course of their first year!!
What type of break room facility is provided?
Our technicians have their own break room off the shop with a large fridge and freezer. We also have a table set up with chairs for them to enjoy their lunch and relax.
How many bays does your shop have?
How many repair orders do you average per month?
What is your parts ordering process?
We use all local and national vendors
What is your policy on side work?
Side work is allowed
Do you offer any skills training or continuing education opportunities?
Absolutely! Not only do we pay for all OEM training through the manufacturer, we also offer PAID internal training through our very own in-house training team! Our technicians are given the opportunity to have a Master Certified Auto instructor/technician working with them as they tackle new or difficult jobs so they can not only learn and grow but get PAID while doing it!
Can you describe opportunities for career growth at your business?
We encourage career growth. We've got trainings to get Mitsubishi certifications, and can set up career paths for all of our technicians to achieve their career goals
Can you describe your performance review process?
What type of safety training is required?
No formal safety training
Can you describe how Techs work with and mentor younger techs?
We have internal apprenticeships as well as our own in house training team to help young techs grow.
How does your shop get involved with the local community?
We are very involved with our local communities and are always looking for chances to partner with local schools, colleges, fairs and other local businesses. Kunes also donates every year to local food pantries, churches and more!
Do you do anything with local high schools or tech schools to encourage more students to enter the profession?
Yes, we are partnered with multiple schools and have done everything from career fairs to onsite training to help local youth understand the advantages of choosing a career in the auto industry.
Where do you see the shop in five years?
We are adding on a 1.3 million dollar shop expansion in the spring.
Do you have an application form and how long does it typically take to complete?
Basic application or resume
Do you phone screen applicants before doing in-person interviews?
If desired by the applicant
What do your in-person interviews entail?
Interviews are performed by the service manager. Typical discussion includes the candidates background, skill set, career goals, and getting to know them
Do you perform background checks, drug screening, or personality tests before hiring an applicant?
Do you perform a skill assessment before hiring an applicant? If yes, what does it entail?
Skill assessment is done through the interview process
After an in-person interview, approximately how long should I expect to wait for a rejection or an offer?
Approximately how long does the full hiring process take from submitting the application to the time of the hiring decision?
A Level Technician
A Level Technicians are highly skilled technicians that have strengths in their diagnostic and mechanical ability. This level of technician typically has many years of experience and education. We view an A Level Technician as the highest skilled technician in a shop
Pay Range: $35 - $40/hour
$28 - $45 an Hour
B Level Technician
B Level Technicians are skilled in mechanical repair and, while not their specialty, have some diagnostic skills. B Level Technicians generally have a fair amount of experience and can be trusted to handle most repairs.
Pay Range: $27 - $32/hour
$25 - $30 an Hour
C Level Technician
C Level Technicians are more of entry level technicians. C Level Technicians’ responsibilities typically include basic maintenance, alignments, brake and suspension work, along with other base level repairs.
Pay Range: $22 - $25/hour
$16 - $23 an Hour
Lube Technicians are entry level technicians that focus on routine maintenance such as oil changes, changing tires, and inspections.
Pay Range: $16 - $20/hour
$16 - $19 an Hour
- Health Insurance Offered
- Medical insurance is available to all full-time permanent employees effective after 60 days following the first day of the first full month following your date of hire if you are actively working.
- Dental Insurance Offered
- Dental insurance is an optional benefit available to all full-time permanent employees effective after 60 days following the first day of the first full month following your date of hire, provided that you are actively working.
- Vision Insurance Offered
- Vision insurance is an optional benefit available to all full-time permanent employees effective after 60 days following the first day of the first full month following your date of hire, provided that you are actively working.
- Retirement Plan Offered
- The Company provides a 401(k)-plan on the 1st of the month, following 60 days of employment for qualifying employees. See your Office Manager for more information including the summary plan description and plan documents. See the Kunes Staff webpage benefits section for additional details about the 401(k) plan.
- Sick Leave Not Offered
- Vacation Offered
- Paid Time Off (PTO or Vacation time) is available to eligible employees as follows: After 1 year 5 After 2 years 10 After 10 years 15
- Paid Holidays Offered
- After completion of 60 days of continuous service, certain full time hourly, salaried and flat rate employees will receive 6 holidays off with pay. • New Year’s Day • Memorial Day • Independence Day • Labor Day • Thanksgiving Day • Christmas Day
- ST / LT Disability Offered
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance are also provided as part of the basic health care insurance plan.
- Life Insurance Offered
- Life insurance is an optional benefit available to all full-time permanent employees effective after 60 days following the first day of the first full month following your date of hire, provided that you are actively working.
- Uniforms Offered
- Uniforms are provided.
- Other Not Offered
Talking about career opportunities out at Gateway technical College while showing off some of the high end cars we sell and service here at Kunes.