Under The Hood
Is the shop heated? Air conditioned?
The shop has heating and air conditioning.
What is the size of the team I’d be working with?
BMW – 25 Journeyman Technicians MINI – 5 Journeyman Technicians; 2 Apprentice Technicians
What are the shop hours and what are the shift timeframes?
Monday – Saturday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
What tools does the shop provide that are available for all technicians to use?
All BMW and MINI special tools are available.
What type of break room facility is provided?
Team members are invited to enjoy their lunch, a snack or a break at Bill’s Bistro – a cashless self-service micro-market located on the second floor of the building. The Bistro has indoor and limited outdoor seating.
How many bays does your shop have?
49 total bays
How many repair orders do you average per month?
2,300 Repair Orders per month.
What is your parts ordering process?
We have a large inventory and also there is a local central region warehouse in Minooka IL for same-day orders.
What is your policy on side work?
Technicians can work on their vehicles and those of immediate family members outside of their normal working hours.
Are there any other unique features of the work environment worth noting?
The Dealership is one of the most luxurious in the Chicagoland area. There is a large locker room in which every technician has their own personal locker. We provide a uniform setup for all technicians including tool benches and cabinets with locks. We employ a few parts runners to help with the delivery and return of parts from the technicians' work area.
Do you offer any skills training or continuing education opportunities?
Technicians are sent to manufacturer training on a regular basis.
Can you describe opportunities for career growth at your business?
Team members have multiple career path opportunities and we love promoting from within! Anyone seeking to advance within the company can simply express their interest to their supervisor or our HR department for guidance.
Can you describe your performance review process?
We have three master-certified Shop Foreman working directly with our technicians, providing assistance, development opportunities, and continuous performance feedback.
What type of safety training is required?
Team member safety is a continual focus addressed at shop meetings. The company's vendor provides online safety training and onsite training four times per year.
Can you describe how Techs work with and mentor younger techs?
We have three Shop Foremen that assist and mentor our technicians. Our team of journeyman technicians are dedicated to assisting apprentice technicians in achieving journeyman status.
How does your shop get involved with the local community?
Bill Jacobs Partners Matching Gifts Program matches colleagues’ donations to eligible 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization that meets program criteria. Additionally, the Dollars for Doers Program provides a $15 grant to eligible organizations for every volunteer hour performed by a Bill Jacobs team member. www.billjacobs.com/partners Additionally, the Company offers opportunities for team members to participate in paid days’ of service.
Do you do anything with local high schools or tech schools to encourage more students to enter the profession?
We have partnered with Universal Technical Institute in Lisle to provide tuition reimbursement, tool vouchers, relocation assistance, and more to technicians entering the field. We have partnered with the Carl Schurz High School automotive program and look forward to growing more partnerships.
Where do you see the shop in five years?
Our dealership has ranked #1 in sales volume for 4 years running in the Midwest region for BMW and has been at the top of the market for MINI. We have already begun to see radically increased growth and foresee the same for the next 5+ years.
Do you have an application form and how long does it typically take to complete?
Applications are submitted online and take 5 to 15 minutes to complete on average, depending on whether the candidate has a resume to upload.
Do you phone screen applicants before doing in-person interviews?
What do your in-person interviews entail?
Our interviews are conducted in person with the Service Manager and a Shop Foreman. During the interview, candidates will be asked about their training, work experience, repair and diagnostic skills, and career aspirations. Candidates are also provided an opportunity to ask questions about the position and company.
Do you perform background checks, drug screening, or personality tests before hiring an applicant?
We perform: An insurability assessment; A felony criminal background check; Post-Offer Drug Screening (We do not test for marijuana) The Company uses a communications and career development tool called the ProScan Survey.
Do you perform a skill assessment before hiring an applicant? If yes, what does it entail?
After an in-person interview, approximately how long should I expect to wait for a rejection or an offer?
One day to one week, depending on where we are at in the interviewing process.
Approximately how long does the full hiring process take from submitting the application to the time of the hiring decision?
Typically two weeks but quicker depending on the circumstances.
Pay Range: $42.00 - $45.00/hour
o $42.25 per booked hour o Incentive Pay up to $45.25 @ 65+ Hours o $1,436.00 Guarantee Weekly o $1.00 Saturday Shift Premium
Pay Range: $22.00 - $31.00/hour
o Starting rate: $22.00 per clocked hour o Months 7 – 12: $23.50 per clocked hour o Months 13 – 24: $25.00 per clocked hour o Months 25 – 36: $27.00per clocked hour o Months 37 – 48: $29.00 per clocked hour o Months 49 – 60: $31.00 per booked hour & weekly guarantee of $1,180.00
- Health Insurance Offered
- o Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois o $10 per week o Calendar Year Deductible - $250 per person; $500 family * Offered through the Union. Please see www.mech701.org for more details.
- Dental Insurance Offered
- o Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois o Cost included in health insurance premium. o Calendar Year Maximum - $2,000 per person. o $25 deductible for routine dental services o Plan pays 100% for routine dental services after the deductible is paid. o Plan pays 50% for basic dental services, major dental services & orthodontia * Offered through the Union. Please see www.mech701.org for more details.
- Vision Insurance Offered
- o Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois o Cost included in health insurance premium. o Complete eye exam (one per year) $10 co-payment in-network * Offered through the Union. Please see www.mech701.org for more details.
- Retirement Plan Offered
- o Automobile Mechanics’ Local 701 Union and Industry Pension Fund o Mechanics’ Local 701 Defined Contribution 401(k) Plan * Offered through the Union. Please see www.mech701.org for more details.
- Sick Leave Not Offered
- Vacation Offered
- o One (1) week vacation on the first anniversary of their date of hire. o Two (2) weeks’ vacation on the second anniversary of their date of hire. o Three (3) weeks’ vacation on the eighth (8) anniversary of their date of hire. o Four (4) weeks’ vacation on the fifteenth (15) anniversary of their date of hire.
- Paid Holidays Offered
- 2023: New Year's Day Memorial Day Independence Day Labor Day Thanksgiving Day Christmas Eve Day Christmas Day
- ST / LT Disability Offered
- o Weekly disability benefits - $300 per week for up to 26 weeks. o For immediate disability due to an accidental and non-occupational Injury- First day o For disabilities due to non-occupational illness – Eighth Day * Offered through the Union. Please see www.mech701.org for more details.
- Life Insurance Offered
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment Benefit - $10,000 to $20,000 depending on the circumstances. * Offered through the Union. Please see www.mech701.org for more details.
- Uniforms Offered
- Uniforms are provided for a bi-weekly deduction of $4.62.
- Other Offered
- Journeyman technicians receive 4 floating days on August 1st of each contract year. Technicians must be employed on the day before August 1st and the Days after to be eligible for these days. The employee may select by seniority four (4) days off, with pay, during the contract year. Unused floating days will be paid at, the end of the contract year (August 1), or at the employee’s resignation and/or termination. Apprentice technicians receive 3 floating days on August 1st of each contract year. Technicians must be employed on the day before August 1st and the Days after to be eligible for these days. The employee may select by seniority three (3) days off, with pay, during the contract year. Unused floating days will be paid at, the end of the contract year (August 1), or at the employee’s resignation and/or termination. ** As of 8/1/2023, or in subsequent contract years on 8/1, apprentices with six (6) years or more of seniority with the dealership shall receive an additional floating day, for a total of four (4).
We just celebrated our dealership winning the BMW Center of Excellence award for the third year in a row. Our team indulged in mouthwatering delights from a BBQ, Taco, Dessert, and Sandwich truck. Cheers to our incredible team and their outstanding achievements! 🎉🏆 #WinningTogether #FoodTruckFiesta #TeamSuccess #BillJacobs #BillJacobsBMW
Bill Jacobs Motorsport’s current business vision is: Achieve maximum profitability, market-dominance, and sustainable growth. Our core values reflect how we do business and how we treat our people.
Our team proudly supports the communities in which we work and play. One of our favorite outreach activities is for members of our team from all of our dealerships to volunteer and help build and renovate homes for our local Habitat for Humanity.
Jorge's career has grown at Bill Jacobs BMW and MINI. Starting as a porter and moving up to a technician, Jorge credits his coworkers for creating an environment where technicians can learn and succeed.
Watch as one of our Service Managers discussed the career path of Technician at Bill Jacobs BMW MINI in Naperville, IL. Our service centers are actively hiring Technicians of all levels. It's the people that make the difference at Bill Jacobs BMW. See why at Bill Jacobs, the cars bring you in and the experience brings you back.
The best part of working for Bill Jacobs is the people. Whether you're just starting out in your career or are a seasoned veteran of automobile service, the goal of the team at Bill Jacobs BMW is to ensure each of our team members receives the training, support, and motivation to reach their career goals.