Under The Hood
Is the shop heated? Air conditioned?
The shop is heated, but currently not air conditioned.
What is the size of the team I’d be working with?
Our team of technicians averages around 25 to 30. With our Parts Department and office support staff, our full team consists of approximately 40 associates.
What are the shop hours and what are the shift timeframes?
Our shop hours and shift time frames are Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm. We do offer overtime when it's available.
What tools does the shop provide that are available for all technicians to use?
Merritt Trailers provides jacks, power saws, standing and bench tools, porta power, air shears, 1" impacts, cutting torches, welders, various breaks and stomp shears, cranes, man lifts, forklifts, huck guns, torque wrenches, and bushing tool kits.
What type of break room facility is provided?
Merritt Trailers offers a modern break room with access to a refrigerator for the storage of personal food items and several microwaves. We also have many snack and beverage machines, seating, and tables.
How many bays does your shop have?
Merritt Trailers has a total of 15 bays.
How many repair orders do you average per month?
Merritt Trailers averages 250 to 325 repair orders per month.
What is your parts ordering process?
Depending on the type of parts and purpose, we have a sophisticated customer parts ordering and delivery program that includes dozens of vendors nationwide and a reliable major parts supplier locally. For our Service Department, we have highly experienced back counter personnel that identify service parts needs, source and order parts for all service needs.
What is your policy on side work?
Merritt Trailers discourages side work, as we a no-compete shop.
Are there any other unique features of the work environment worth noting?
Merritt Trailers provides all needed safety equipment and provides on and off job training. We also provide a Tool Purchase and Boot Purchase Program for technicians. We celebrate accomplishes with Safety Lunches and merchandise giveaways!
Do you offer any skills training or continuing education opportunities?
Merritt Trailers offers on-the-job training opportunities with Master Technicians. We also provide technical trainings skills through vendor specific training sessions.
Can you describe opportunities for career growth at your business?
Merritt Trailers utilizes a Tech Tier System in which technicians may matriculate up the scale, at which time individuals are eligible for both an increase in pay and opportunities for leadership positions in the shop. We also accommodate technicians whom may wish to move into administrative and sales positions.
Can you describe your performance review process?
All new employees receive a 30, 60, and 90 day review to ensure that the on-boarding process is going smoothly. Goals and training opportunities are discussed in detail. Going forward, technicians receive annual review in order to evaluate successes, achievements, and future goals. Tech Tier status is also addressed during review times.
What type of safety training is required?
Merritt Trailers requires all new technicians to complete On-Boarding Safety Training and all applicable safety tests. Technicians are required to complete applicable safety training annually thereafter and participate in the Weekly Safety Updates.
Can you describe how Techs work with and mentor younger techs?
Our shop structure is such that newly hired/inexperienced technicians are assigned to a small crew that is directly supervised by a Working Foreman. These small crews (4-5 individuals) also have a Lead Technician to assist in overseeing and training newer technicians.
How does your shop get involved with the local community?
Merritt Trailers loves to support our local community by participating in community events and celebrations.
Do you do anything with local high schools or tech schools to encourage more students to enter the profession?
Merritt Trailers works with many local schools by offering apprenticeships and/or internships opportunities. We also participate in school job fairs.
Where do you see the shop in five years?
Merritt Trailers believes with the right team of skilled technicians, we will increase our monthly work order average and provide significant opportunities for technician advancement.
Do you have an application form and how long does it typically take to complete?
We encourage all potential applicants to submit an application through our Career Tab located on our webpage. The online application takes approximately 10 minutes. https://merritt-trailers.com/ Applicants may also submit a paper application at any of our facilities.
Do you phone screen applicants before doing in-person interviews?
Candidate phone screens are dependent upon the detail of the application. Phone screens are used to gain additional information about qualifications and experience.
What do your in-person interviews entail?
The in-person interview consists of a face-to-face discussion with the respective hiring Service Manager and Working Foreman. The discussion covers job expectations, professional experience, and a thorough discussion of our Tech Tier Program that will reveal the appropriate Tier Level for the candidate. The in-person interview is followed by a shop tour.
Do you perform background checks, drug screening, or personality tests before hiring an applicant?
A pre-employment drug screen is mandatory for all associates. Background checks and Motor Vehicle Records are required for associates that will be driving company vehicles.
Do you perform a skill assessment before hiring an applicant? If yes, what does it entail?
An in-shop basic skills assessment is required.
After an in-person interview, approximately how long should I expect to wait for a rejection or an offer?
After an in-person interview, candidates should expect an offer or rejection within 24 to 48 hours.
Approximately how long does the full hiring process take from submitting the application to the time of the hiring decision?
The full hiring process from submitting an application to receiving a hiring decision takes approximately 3 to 5 business days.
Is there anything else you’d like to mention about your hiring process?
Merritt Trailers is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
A Level Technician
A Level Technicians are highly skilled technicians that have strengths in their diagnostic and mechanical ability. This level of technician typically has many years of experience and education. We view an A Level Technician as the highest skilled technician in a shop
Pay Range: $62,920 - $72,800/year
($30.25 - $35.00/hr)
Pay is based on experience and ability.
B Level Technician
B Level Technicians are skilled in mechanical repair and, while not their specialty, have some diagnostic skills. B Level Technicians generally have a fair amount of experience and can be trusted to handle most repairs.
Pay Range: $58,760 - $62,400/year
($28.25 - $30.00/hr)
Pay is based on experience and ability.
C Level Technician
C Level Technicians are more of entry level technicians. C Level Technicians’ responsibilities typically include basic maintenance, alignments, brake and suspension work, along with other base level repairs.
Pay Range: $52,520 - $58,240/year
($25.25 - $28.00/hr)
Pay is based on experience and ability.
D Level Technician
Pay Range: $46,280 - $52,000/year
($22.25 - $25.00/hr)
Pay based on experience and ability.
E Level Technician
Pay Range: $41,600 - $45,760/year
($20.00 - $22.00/hr)
Pay based on experience and ability.
- Health Insurance Offered
- Merritt Trailers offers two medical plans through Cigna with the following features: - Option to receive care from in-network or out-of-network providers; higher benefits are paid when using in-network Open Access Plus providers. - Preventative care is covered at 100% when using an in-network provider - Includes prescription drug coverage - Deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums accumulate on a calendar year which runs January 1st to December 31st. - If you enroll in the OAP HSA Plan, you can open and contribute to a Health Savings Account (HSA) to help cover medical plan costs. Merritt Trailers will match your monthly HSA contribution up to $100. Employees are eligible for health insurance after 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance Offered
- Routine dental care is important for overall health. Merritt Trailers offers a comprehensive dental plan through Cigna. All preventative dental care is at no cost. Employee only dental insurance is covered 100% by Merritt Trailers. Employees are eligible for dental insurance after 60 days of employment.
- Vision Insurance Offered
- Routine eye exams are important to maintaining good vision and can also provide early warning of other health conditions. The Cigna vision plan provides coverage for exams, glasses, and contact lenses. Employee only vision insurance is covered 100% by Merritt Trailers. Employees are eligible for vision insurance after 60 days of employment.
- Retirement Plan Offered
- Merritt Trailers has a 401k plan designed to help you meet your financial needs during your retirement years. New employee may start making contributions to their 401k six months after their employment begins. Merritt Trailers does provide an 8% match.
- Sick Leave Offered
- Merritt Trailers offers sick pay for all full time employee. Sick pay begins accruing immediately. Sick pay is paid on a quarterly basis on the first complete pay period of every month based on the number of hours scheduled to work or the average hours worked in the previous quarter, whichever is greater. Full time employees will accrue a maximum of 12 hours per quarter for a maximum of 48 hours per year.
- Vacation Offered
- Merritt Trailers offers vacation for full time employees based on the length of continuous employment. Vacation time begins accruing immediately. - During the first year of employment, the employee receives 1.54 hours of vacation each bi-weekly period. The total vacation that may be earned is 40 hours, equal to one week of vacation. - During the second year of employment, the employee receives 3.08 hours of vacation each bi-weekly period. The total vacation that may be earned is 80 hours, equal to two weeks of employment. - During the seventh year of employment, the employee receives 4.62 hours of vacation each bi-weekly period. The total vacation that may be earned is 120 hours, equal to three weeks of vacation.
- Paid Holidays Offered
- Merritt Trailers currently provides eight (8) paid holidays per year: - New Year's Day - Memorial Day - Independence Day - Labor Day - Thanksgiving Day - Friday after Thanksgiving - Christmas Day - One (1) additional floating holiday that is selected by management that best fits the operating schedule Employees are eligible to holiday pay after 90 days of employment
- ST / LT Disability Offered
- If you were to be out of work due to an injury or illness, could you and your family survive without a paycheck? Disability insurance is essentially "paycheck" insurance, ensuring you will receive a portion of your income if you were out of work due to injury or illness. Merritt Trailers offers Voluntary STD and LTD, administered Cigna. Employees are eligible for STD and LTD after 60 days of employment.
- Life Insurance Offered
- Having appropriate life insurance coverage is a critical part of planning for your family's current and future financial needs. Proceeds from life insurance can help with salary replacement, mortgage protection, cost of childcare, debt repayment, and children's education expenses. Merritt Trailers provides Basic Life insurance coverage of 1x an employees salary, to a max of $50,000. Employees can purchase additional Voluntary Life insurance for themselves, their legal spouse, and dependent children without providing medical information up to certain guarantee issue (GI) amounts. Employees are eligible for life insurance after 60 days of employment.
- Uniforms Offered
- Merritt Trailers provides high quality, fire-resistant uniforms to all employees after 90 days of employment.
- Other Offered
- We understand how challenging it can be to balance your work life and personal life, and we are committed to helping you do just that! Merritt Trailers offer an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) through Cigna, which provides you, your family, and household members with information and assistance on a wide range of topics and issues including stress, debt problems, family issues, relationship worries, parenting challenges, anxiety, grief, and much more.
Top Shop Challenge: Explain how you pay your techs (i.e., flat rate, straight hourly, etc.). Are there any parts of your pay plan that separate you from other shops?
Here at Merritt we offer a straight hourly rate depending upon an individual's experience and ability. Our pay scale ranges for $23.00 to $36.50 per hour. We utilize a Tech Tier System in which technicians may matriculate up the scale by acquiring new skills or experience. Moving up through the Tier System also makes individuals eligible for both a pay increase and opportunities for leadership positions in the shop.