Under The Hood
Is the shop heated? Air conditioned?
Our shop is heated for the winter. During summer our shop is well ventilated and with 3 shop fans and the 2 big bay doors there is a nice cross breeze that cools down the whole shop.
What is the size of the team I’d be working with?
We have 7 technicians included our express lube team and 1 Service Advisor and 1 Service Manager.
What are the shop hours and what are the shift timeframes?
Parts and Service is open Monday - Friday 7:30am - 5:30pm. Line technicians work 8am - 5pm Express technicians work 7:30 - 4:30
What tools does the shop provide that are available for all technicians to use?
We provide all specialty tools needed for Ford including laptops and Ford diagnostic equipment. Express Technicians are provided basic tools needed for the job, however if you would like something different you will be responsible for. Line Technicians are expected to have their own tools and tool box. Depending on the right applicant there are options that we can provide.
What type of break room facility is provided?
We have a break room with a fridge, microwave, and table to relax and eat your food.
How many bays does your shop have?
We have 6 stalls and an alignment rack. Our Express department has 2 drive over pits and 1 4 post lift
How many repair orders do you average per month?
We average over 400 RO's a month. With being the only dealership in town we are constantly busy with many companies and departments to service their fleet of vehicles.
What is your parts ordering process?
We provide paper P&A's for repair orders and submitted electronically to Ford.
What is your policy on side work?
A conflict of interest is a situation in which an employee has competing professional and personal interests. Just because no improper actions take place doesn't mean that a person has no conflict of interest. A conflict of interest is a situation that merely has the potential for improper actions or unreasonable interference with Kendall job duties. Direct competition with Kendall Auto Group in its business activities is a conflict of interest. Direct competition includes: * buying and selling vehicles for profit; * servicing, repairing, or selling parts or accessories for vehicles for profit. It is not possible to detail all possible conflicts of interest. It is the responsibility of all Kendall Auto Group employees to consider all actions and relationships and how they could affect business activities and decisions. Employees are expected, as part of their jobs, to keep the interests of Kendall Auto Group foremost as they perform their jobs. If there is any doubt as to if a conflict of interest exists, it should be reported.
Do you offer any skills training or continuing education opportunities?
We offer on the job training for entry level positions. We pay for completed and passed ASE tests during employment. We also pay for manufacture training on and off site including the training, lodging, per diem for food, and your time while at training.
Can you describe opportunities for career growth at your business?
Kendall likes to promote within the company. With over 50 stores you can move up within your store or transfer to another dealer in 5 different states. We encourage to always better yourself. The possibility is endless and dependent on you.
Can you describe your performance review process?
Performance reviews are done at the Service Managers discretion. Usually there is a review between the 3-6 month mark.
What type of safety training is required?
Kendall Auto Group is committed to providing employees with a safe and healthful workplace. Employees are required to report unsafe conditions and to use safe work practices, including following all safety rules, regulations and notices. No task is so urgent or important that it requires working unsafely. Training is done online and during the hiring process during orientation. After that there is annual online training.
Can you describe how Techs work with and mentor younger techs?
Our Senior Technicians can be offered to be a mentor to younger technicians. During the training process you are compensated to help train.
How does your shop get involved with the local community?
We have a program called Kendall Cares. Kendall Cares is designed to give back to the community through a variety of partnerships throughout the year. We strive to make our communities happier, healthier and safer places to live. At Kendall, giving back to those we serve has been a cornerstone of our company for decades, and we are constantly searching for new ways of engaging with our communities.
Do you do anything with local high schools or tech schools to encourage more students to enter the profession?
Where do you see the shop in five years?
We have grown exponentially year over year and strive to continue that.
Do you have an application form and how long does it typically take to complete?
You can apply online from our website. Application only takes a few minutes to fill out.
Do you phone screen applicants before doing in-person interviews?
Yes. We always do a phone interview before moving to the next step of an in-person interview.
What do your in-person interviews entail?
Our Regional Service Director will join us in our interview. We will discuss processes and show you the shop and equipment. We will answer any questions you have about working with us.
Do you perform background checks, drug screening, or personality tests before hiring an applicant?
Personality tests are dependent on offer and position. Background checks, drug screening, and driving record screening are done after offer and contingent on being able to hire.
Do you perform a skill assessment before hiring an applicant? If yes, what does it entail?
Not usually. Pending on the in-person interview there may not be a need for a skill assessment.
After an in-person interview, approximately how long should I expect to wait for a rejection or an offer?
Usually you'll hear back from us within a few days with an offer or rejection.
Approximately how long does the full hiring process take from submitting the application to the time of the hiring decision?
We keep in continuous contact during the entire process. Depending on the number of applicants but we try to keep it less than a week.
A Level Technician
A Level Technicians are highly skilled technicians that have strengths in their diagnostic and mechanical ability. This level of technician typically has many years of experience and education. We view an A Level Technician as the highest skilled technician in a shop
Pay Range: $80,000 - $110,000/year
This position is for Master and Senior Master Technicians. Flat rate position at $35-$40 a hour. See other tab under benefits to see technician bonus structure.
B Level Technician
B Level Technicians are skilled in mechanical repair and, while not their specialty, have some diagnostic skills. B Level Technicians generally have a fair amount of experience and can be trusted to handle most repairs.
Pay Range: $55,000 - $80,000/year
This position is for experienced technicians. Flat rate position at $28-$34 a hour. See other tab under benefits to see technician bonus structure.
C Level Technician
C Level Technicians are more of entry level technicians. C Level Technicians’ responsibilities typically include basic maintenance, alignments, brake and suspension work, along with other base level repairs.
Pay Range: $45,000 - $55,000/year
This position is for technicians with some experience and looking to grow in your field. Flat rate position at $19-$27 a hour pending on experience. See other tab under benefits to see technician bonus structure.
Lube Technicians are entry level technicians that focus on routine maintenance such as oil changes, changing tires, and inspections.
Pay Range: $32,256 - $36,288/year
Hourly starting at $16 an hour and max is at $18 an hour
Pay Range: $36,000 - $38,000/year
This is a position where you have little experience and want to expand your knowledge and career.
- Health Insurance Offered
- The Kendall Health Plan is administered by Health Management Associates (HMA). Participants have access to HMA's own comprehensive participating provider group in the Pacific Northwest, and the national PHCS MultiPlan network. Kendall pays most of the cost for employee coverage and makes a contribution to the cost of family members.
- Dental Insurance Offered
- Coverage is with Moda, part of the Delta Dental group. More than 100,000 dentists nationwide participate in the Delta Dental network, making it easy to find an in-network provider.
- Vision Insurance Offered
- Coverage is with VSP, the largest vision insurance company in the US. The nationwide VSP network means no forms and no fuss to see an eye doctor or optician.
- Retirement Plan Offered
- Kendall helps employees save for retirement with a 401(k) retirement savings plan administered by Fidelity Investments. All employees at least 21 years old can participate after three months employment. New Employees are automatically enrolled in the plan on the first day of the month following three months of employment. The auto-enroll savings amount is 3% of earnings. You may opt out of the 401(k) deduction by visiting www.401k.com, registering an account and choosing a 0% deferral amount. After the end of each year Kendall has a discretionary match contribution to the plan to benefit most participants.
- Sick Leave Offered
- Sick Leave is built into PTO Plan.
- Vacation Offered
- Kendall provides Paid Time Off (PTO)/ sick leave to all employees, beginning after 90 days of employment. Employees can earn up to: -- 56 hours in their first year -- 96 hours in their second year -- 136 hours starting in their sixth year
- Paid Holidays Offered
- Most employees receive holiday pay after 90 days service with Kendall. Holiday Pay is offered for New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
- ST / LT Disability Not Offered
- Life Insurance Offered
- Kendall provides $10,000 Term Life Insurance for eligible employees. There is also an option to purchase additional life insurance with "Guaranteed Issue": no health questions or requirements if you elect additional coverage when you are first eligible.
- Uniforms Offered
- Uniforms are provided in the Fixed Operations departments
- Other Offered
- Kendall offers group health, dental, vision, and life insurance, as well as a Section 125 FSA Plan for full-time employees beginning on the first day of the month after 60 days of employment. ("Full-time" is 30 hours per week, as measured in accordance with the Affordable Care Act rules.) Each of these plans are offered individually so that employees can choose just the benefits they need. Premium payments are payroll deducted on a pre-tax basis. Flexible Spending Plan: The Flexible Spending Account Plan allows employees to have pre-tax dollars saved into a special account that can be used to pay for many out-of-pocket healthcare costs. Kendall pays all fees for this program for active participants. Unum Additional Insurance Coverage: Unum offers additional insurance coverage for Accidents and Critical Illnesses giving Kendall employees piece of mind. If you or a covered family member are unable to work due to a covered reason Unum can replace part of your income or provide lump sum payments to assist with co-pays, medical bills or household expenses. Employee and Family Discounts: Kendall provides discounted pricing for Service, Parts and Vehicle purchases. Employee discounts are available to employees and their immediate family members for their personal use. -- Used vehicles are discounted based on time in inventory -- F&I products are at department cost -- Service Labor is offered at $60 per hour -- Parts on repair orders or over-the-counter are at cost plus 20% -- Rental Cars discounts Kendall Auto also has 3 different bonus programs for technicians: Technician Seniority Bonus For fully qualified Journeyman-level and Master-level technicians: • $500 at completion of one year of service • $1,000 at completion of two years of service • $1,500 each year at completion of 3, 4, 5, and 6 years of service • $3,000 each year at completion of 7 years of service and up Service Shop Flag Technician Efficiency Bonus: During each twelve-month period of November 1st through October 31st, $100 will be accrued each month in which the technician’s flag efficiency is equal to or greater than 100%. For the initial year of 2022, the period will be January 1st through October 31st. All service shop flagging technicians are eligible for this bonus. This bonus excludes lube technicians, reconditioning technicians, detailers, accessory technicians, and body shop technicians. Flag efficiency is defined as flag hours divided by clock hours available for the month. For example, 20 working days in a month at 8 hours per day totals 160 available hours. Clock hours are not considered to be available if the technician is not at work due to jury duty, military service, or when using PTO. If the technician’s flag hours for the month are 160 or greater, then the $100 is set up in your account. If flag efficiency is at least 90%, but less than 100%, the bonus will be $90. If the flag efficiency is at least 80%, but less than 90%, the bonus will be $80. The bonus is accrued each month and is fully earned on November 1st of each year and is paid in the month of November. If your employment ends before November 1st, this Technician Efficiency Bonus is not earned. Optional Flag Technician Year End Bonus: You have the option to have $0.50 withheld from your earnings for each of your flag hours produced during each twelve-month period of November 1st through October 31st. For the initial year of 2022, the period will be January 1st through October 31st. In November, Kendall will return this amount, along with a bonus contribution as shown below. Contribution levels are determined by the Technician Seniority level as follows: Bonus Contribution Levels o During first year of service, additional bonus amount is $0.55 per flag hour o During second year of service, additional bonus amount is $0.70 per flag hour o During years three through six, additional bonus amount is $0.85 per flag hour o During years seven and above, additional bonus amount is $1.25 per flag hour