Under The Hood
Is the shop heated? Air conditioned?
Shop is heated, No A/C
What is the size of the team I’d be working with?
6 flat rate technicians, one express technician. 3 service advisors
What are the shop hours and what are the shift timeframes?
Shop hours are 7:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday ( no Saturdays at this time) 1/2 of the team works 7:00am - 3:30pm other 1/2 works 8:00am to 4:30pm lunch is from 12:00 - 12:30
What tools does the shop provide that are available for all technicians to use?
Acura manufacture scan tools, laptops, Acura specialty tools, bench brake lathe, on car brake lathe, hydraulic press, battery chargers and testers, trans jacks, drivetrain lift table Hunter alignment rack, tire machine, road force wheel balancer.
What type of break room facility is provided?
Fridge, microwaves, pizza oven, tv with cable, air conditioned.
How many bays does your shop have?
11 bays and 1 alignment rack
How many repair orders do you average per month?
What is your parts ordering process?
Main parts warehouse is in davenport Iowa, if part is in stock we would receive it next day if ordered by 3:00pm the day before, other parts 2-3 days, also have the ability to overnight parts.
What is your policy on side work?
Side work is prohibited when in direct competition with our business.
Are there any other unique features of the work environment worth noting?
Technicians are on a team system = Hours are pooled together and split according to hours worked. We use xtime inspect for our multi-point inspections, and recently started incorporating video/photos in our inspections.
Do you offer any skills training or continuing education opportunities?
Yes! Zimbrick offers training and education for technicians. Each manufacturer offers different training, but we are proactive when it comes to sending our technicians to training.
Can you describe opportunities for career growth at your business?
We love to promote from within! Many of our current employees advanced from entry level positions. Everyone that is hired has a career path laid out for them depending on what their hopes and aspirations are in our industry. Advancement is endless for the right employee.
Can you describe your performance review process?
We deliver what we call "Start, stop, continues" twice a year. It's a simplified version of a performance review where we let you know what you should stop doing, start doing, and continue doing. In addition, we have monthly touch points where technicians will meet with their service manager/director. Working on goals for the next month, and discussing if goals were hit from the previous month on the main talking points.
What type of safety training is required?
Safety is a priority at our shops. Safety training is provided as needed, individually and as a group. Our shop layout has been planned based on safety and efficiency, to make work as smooth as possible for our staff.
Can you describe how Techs work with and mentor younger techs?
On-the-job training is provided so younger techs can learn from seasoned techs in our team-oriented shop. Our technicians have a wide variety of skillsets to work on a variety of auto makes and models,
How does your shop get involved with the local community?
Zimbrick has been a family-owned business with strong ties to the local community since our founder, John Zimbrick, purchased the Buick franchise more than 50 years go. Mr. Zimbrick understood the importance to giving back and the power it has to bring positive, measurable change to the communities in which we operate and live in. – An act Mr. Zimbrick refers to as "paying our civic rent." Fast forward half a century, and we continue to pay that civic rent forward through in-kind and financial donations, employee volunteerism, enduring nonprofit partnerships and much more. Zimbrick is proud to be recognized as one of the top 5 givers in Dane County.
Do you do anything with local high schools or tech schools to encourage more students to enter the profession?
In partnership with Wisconsin’s Youth Apprenticeship programs, AYES is designed to help young people jumpstart their automotive careers, prepping them for entry-level career positions. Many students begin working with Zimbrick service departments as an apprentice. In addition, Madison College provides the resources for students to achieve their goals. This foundation, which Zimbrick is proud to support, grants scholarships that make higher education attainable for students
Where do you see the shop in five years?
Growing, improving processes, adding more technicians to the team as our business grows.
Do you have an application form and how long does it typically take to complete?
We have applications on our website that take typically 10-15 minutes to complete. https://www.zimbrick.com/careers.html
Do you phone screen applicants before doing in-person interviews?
Yes. Discussion includes work history, what the candidate is looking for, likes/dislikes, and what their goals are.
What do your in-person interviews entail?
We have 3 parts of our in-person interviews: - Discussing the vision and strategy of our company along with Zimbrick values. - Finding out about the candidate's work background, training, skills, and tools - Speaking with the candidate more about the role and answering questions they may have
Do you perform background checks, drug screening, or personality tests before hiring an applicant?
We do require a motor vehicle record check to be run before extending an offer of employment.
Do you perform a skill assessment before hiring an applicant? If yes, what does it entail?
No, we do not perform a skill assessment before hiring.
After an in-person interview, approximately how long should I expect to wait for a rejection or an offer?
Less than one week.
Approximately how long does the full hiring process take from submitting the application to the time of the hiring decision?
We try to get candidates through the hiring process is as quick as possible. Some this will depend on when they can get their motor vehicle record check completed.
Is there anything else you’d like to mention about your hiring process?
We hope a candidate is interviewing the shop as much as we are interviewing the candidate - both sides should believe it's a good fit. We are seeking to create the best shop environment anyone has worked in, and want you to be confident in working for our company.
Experienced Flat Rate Technician
Examples of this would be Level A/Master/Gold level technician. These technicians are typically paid on a flat rate system with production based bonus structure.
Pay Range: $50,000 - $100,000/year
At this level you can work on just about everything and diagnose vehicles no matter the issue. A technician at this level would have completed many hours of manufacturer and/or product training along with logged many hours in the shop. An experienced flat rate technician is typically the person who is training others, not the one being trained. Everyone needs help sometimes, and as a team we all contribute ideas if needed. This level of technician is typically a leader in the shop and operates without much guidance. How much you earn is up to you. If you put in the time and work hard there are no limits on earnings.
Intermediate / Hourly Technician
Examples of this would be technicians that have a good mechanical base started/ B level tech. They have typically been working with a leader in the shop and have transitioned or close to transitioning into a flat rate type of pay plan.
Pay Range: $45,000 - $55,000/year
This level technician is a person with mechanical knowledge and has some experience. With guidance this level technician can handle most jobs. We purposely start this level technician on an hourly pay rate instead of flat rate. We want to stress quality work over speed. An hourly technician does not get the incentive increase. Our goal is to get all technicians onto the flat rate system in one year or less. We track everyone's time as if they were on flat rate and we can easily see when the time is right to switch over. Also a pay increase happens when going from hourly to flat rate. Hourly technicians are typically limited to 40 hours per week.
Entry level / Apprentice / Express / Quick Lube Technician
This is where you will learn the in and out of the dealership.
This entry level position will help you learn how to become a tech.
You will learn proper documentation, performing basic maintenance, basic repairs and being a productive member of the team.
Pay Range: $35,000 - $45,000/year
This level technician is a person with mechanical knowledge and has little experience. With guidance this level technician can handle basic jobs. We purposely start this level technician on an hourly pay rate instead of flat rate. We want to stress quality work over speed. Our goal is to get this level tech to the next level in one year or less.
- Health Insurance Offered
- Because the Company is dedicated to the health and welfare of you and your family, a comprehensive, quality insurance program is available. Zimbrick offers a choice of multiple health plans that are designed to meet the varying needs of employees who are at different stages of their lives. Zimbrick pays a portion of the premium, with the employee paying the remainder of the premium through payroll deduction. The plan includes prescription drug coverage.
- Dental Insurance Offered
- Zimbrick offers Delta Dental Insurance. Zimbrick pays a portion of the premium, with the employee paying the remainder of the premium through payroll deduction. The Dental Benefit Plan provides a comprehensive program to ensure the dental health of you and your family. Preventive care is covered at 100%. Other services are available with deductible and co-insurance.
- Vision Insurance Offered
- Zimbrick offers a Delta Vision insurance. Employees are offered vision insurance on a self-pay basis. The benefit will provide a comprehensive program to ensure the vision health of you and your family. Coverage provides for an annual eye exam as well as an allowance for glasses and contact lenses.
- Retirement Plan Offered
- Zimbrick offers a combined 401(k), Roth 401(k) and Profit Sharing Plan that allows employees to save for their retirement during their career. 401(k) and Roth 401(k) Plan. Investment education and materials are available through R. W. Baird. Enrollment seminars and annual education sessions are conducted to help employees plan for retirement. These sessions are open to all employees and participation is on a voluntary basis.
- Sick Leave Offered
- Personal days are to provide regular, full-time employees with flexible paid time off from work and may be used at the employee's discretion. Regular, full-time employees will receive five (5) personal days upon hire.
- Vacation Offered
- Regular, full-time employees are given one week of vacation upon hire but they are not eligible for paid vacation until they have worked 90 days of continuous employment. All regular, full-time employees are eligible for vacation based on their years of service as indicated below: If you have been employed for: You are eligible for: 90 days 40 hours (5 days) One full year 80 hours (10 days) Three full years 88 hours (11 days) Four full years 96 hours (12 days) Five full years, but less than eight years 120 hours (15 days) Eight full years 144 hours (18 days) Ten full years 160 hours (20 days) Fifteen full years 200 hours (25 days)
- Paid Holidays Offered
- All regular, full-time employees are eligible for holiday pay from their date of hire. Holiday Schedule: New Year’s Day Memorial Day Independence Day Labor Day Thanksgiving Day Christmas Eve Day Christmas Day
- ST / LT Disability Offered
- Zimbrick provides short-term disability insurance to eligible employees at no cost. Disability insurance is designed to provide you with partial income replacement should you become partially or totally disabled and are unable to perform the essential functions of your job. The policy covers non-work related injuries or illnesses, including pregnancy.
- Life Insurance Offered
- Zimbrick provides $20,000 of life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment coverage to eligible employees at no cost. This insurance is payable to your designated beneficiary in the event of your death, in accordance with the policy. Life Insurance Buy-Up Eligible employees are offered the opportunity to buy additional life insurance for themselves, spouses and/or dependents of a self-pay basis.
- Uniforms Offered
- Zimbrick provides employee uniforms.
- Other Offered
- Service/Parts Discounts: All employees of Zimbrick are eligible to receive a special discount on any parts or services purchased from Zimbrick for their personal vehicles. A personal vehicle is one that is titled in the name of the employee and/or the spouse. Shop Privileges: The Company offers certain service department employees an opportunity to work on their personal vehicle in the service department of the store where they work as a regular employee. Vehicle Purchase Program We are proud of the vehicles we sell and want to give our employees an opportunity to own them. A full-time, regular employee may purchase a vehicle at a preferred price not available to the general public. The vehicle purchase discount is available only to employees for their personal use. Proof of ownership may be required for personally owned vehicles.