Under The Hood
Is the shop heated? Air conditioned?
Indoor heated shop, well insulated interior spaces so it stays pretty cool in the summer but we do provide large fans when needed Recently remodeled.
What is the size of the team I’d be working with?
Service manager, 3 Full-time service advisors, 1 Part-time advisor & 5 Technicians
What are the shop hours and what are the shift timeframes?
-Shop is open 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Technician shifts - 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
What tools does the shop provide that are available for all technicians to use?
All major equipment, and diagnostic tools, techs provide their own hand tools
What type of break room facility is provided?
Fridge, microwave, coffee maker, table, chairs - located between front & back shop
How many bays does your shop have?
How many repair orders do you average per month?
600 to 700
What is your parts ordering process?
Technicians take order to our back parts counter, specifically designated for service department work. Parts requests given to parts staff, ordered and received as soon as possible.
What is your policy on side work?
All personal cars being worked on must be run through regular channels and repair orders written for work performed.
Are there any other unique features of the work environment worth noting?
We also provide a locker room for technicians to change
Do you offer any skills training or continuing education opportunities?
We provide factory-authorized training that is continuously ongoing. There are occasional offsite training opportunities paid for by the dealership. We promote our technicians to stay current in our industry
Can you describe opportunities for career growth at your business?
There's always room for career growth for the right technicians. Through training that we provide and hard work, technicians can achieve their career goals
Can you describe your performance review process?
No formal review process. This is more of an ongoing process and can take place as needed
What type of safety training is required?
We have a safety committee. When technicians start to work at the dealership, there is required safety training
Can you describe how Techs work with and mentor younger techs?
Mentoring is something we look forward to expanding on in the future
How does your shop get involved with the local community?
We sponsor local non-profits, local school and college athletics, and our children's hospital
Do you do anything with local high schools or tech schools to encourage more students to enter the profession?
Where do you see the shop in five years?
We're always looking to expand our personal. With electric vehicles being the wave of the future, we look to stay current with our technicians and the staff around them
Is there anything else you’d like to mention about career development and community?
We're a long-time Volvo dealer that is family-run. We promote a family-friendly environment with experienced leadership. A lot of our employees enjoy long-term employment
Do you have an application form and how long does it typically take to complete?
Paper application, which usually takes a couple of minutes to complete
Do you phone screen applicants before doing in-person interviews?
We will provide phone interviews for candidates that are not local to the area. This is a light screen to see how serious the candidate is about the position and a quick review of their background
What do your in-person interviews entail?
Interview is normally completed by the Service Manager and possibly the General Manager. Discussion includes the candidate's background, certifications, career goals, and getting to know them as a person. We also provide a shop tour
Do you perform background checks, drug screening, or personality tests before hiring an applicant?
Background check, motor vehicle, drug screen
Do you perform a skill assessment before hiring an applicant? If yes, what does it entail?
No formal skills assessment. Assessment is done through the interview process
After an in-person interview, approximately how long should I expect to wait for a rejection or an offer?
Within a week
Approximately how long does the full hiring process take from submitting the application to the time of the hiring decision?
Within a week
A Level Technician
A Level Technicians are highly skilled technicians that have strengths in their diagnostic and mechanical ability. This level of technician typically has many years of experience and education. We view an A Level Technician as the highest skilled technician in a shop
Pay Range: $28 - $38/hour
Pay rates based on experience. $28 per hour is minimum flat rate for certified Master Technicians.
B Level Technician
B Level Technicians are skilled in mechanical repair and, while not their specialty, have some diagnostic skills. B Level Technicians generally have a fair amount of experience and can be trusted to handle most repairs.
Pay Range: $24 - $30/hour
Pay rates based on experience. Rates depend upon qualifications - Certified Technicians
Lube Technicians are entry level technicians that focus on routine maintenance such as oil changes, changing tires, and inspections.
Pay Range: $22 - $26/hour
Minimum hourly rate for lube technicians. Higher rate may be paid depending on qualifications and experience.
- Health Insurance Offered
- Full time employees are eligible for benefits on the first of the month following 60 days of continuous employment. Employer pays a portion of benefit.
- Dental Insurance Offered
- Full time employees are eligible for benefits on the first of the month following 60 days of continuous employment.
- Vision Insurance Offered
- Yes, eligible employees may purchase vision insurance through outside provider .
- Retirement Plan Offered
- 401K ...employees are eligible to participate after one year of continuous full time employment. Company matches 100% of your contributions up to 4% of pay.
- Sick Leave Offered
- Jim Fisher Volvo provides eligible employees with sick leave in accordance with the Oregon Paid Sick Leave Law and administrative rules.
- Vacation Offered
- After one year of continuous full-time employment - one week (5 days) Following two years of continuous full-time employment - two weeks (10 days) Following six years of continuous full-time employment - three weeks (15 days)
- Paid Holidays Offered
- Paid holidays - New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
- ST / LT Disability Offered
- Eligible full-time employees can purchase additional benefits through an outside carrier, on the first of the month following 60 days of continuous employment. Available programs include short / long term disability policies and accident insurance.
- Life Insurance Offered
- A term life insurance policy is provided to eligible employees after 30 days of employment.
- Uniforms Offered
- Uniforms provided and laundered paid for by employer.
- Other Offered
- Employee discount on parts & labor for repairs on personal vehicle. Employee parking in our fenced lot adjacent to building.
This shop has not yet added any Shop Talk posts.