Virginia Transportation - Rhode Island
Check out our top shop page to see photos, videos, FAQs, and more about what it's like working at Virginia Transportation - Rhode Island.
B Level Technician
JOB TITLE: Technician - B
REPORTS TO: Shop Foreman/Shop Manager
SUMMARY: Maintains diesel equipment operation by completing inspections and preventive maintenance requirements; correcting vehicle deficiencies; making adjustments and alignments; keeping records.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
“Essential functions” are primarily job duties that incumbents must be able to perform unassisted or with some reasonable accommodation made by the employer.
- Perform proficient inspection, diagnosis and moderately complex repair of assigned vehicles and equipment.
- Inspect the quality of outside/supplier repairs and or rebuilds. Assess structural damage and assign needed repairs utilizing the most appropriate method(s).
- Conduct safety checks on trucks.
- Perform maintenance related work as required.
- Maintains a clear line of communication to the Lead Mechanic/Foreman and other staff in the maintenance department.
- Keeps shop equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance.
- Contains costs by using warranty; evaluating service and parts options.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical and regulation publications.
- Occasionally may perform service calls for emergency breakdowns.
- Maintain a clean, safe work area in compliance with Corporate/OSHA Standards and perform all work in accordance with established procedures.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Class A CDL license is preferred but not required.
- Certified welder is preferred but not required.
- 1+ years’ experience in class 8 tractor truck maintenance and/or equivalent schooling, background of hydraulics a plus.
- Experience with electronic diagnostics.
- Experience with Peterbilt chassis a plus.
- Knowledge of DOT compliance, laws, rules, regulations and safety is helpful.
- Knowledge of transportation management system, a plus.
- Computer literate. Microsoft, Outlook and Excel a plus.
- Attention to detail and possess a high level of accuracy.
- Comfortable working in a fast pace environment and ability to stay calm under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal skills to develop and maintain positive relationships with dispatch team and auto haulers.
- Excellent communication skills both internally and with customers.
- Work may require more than 40 hours per week.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit/stand for most of his/her job duties.
- There is the need to frequently walk and sit.
- There will be a great deal of standing, stooping, kneeling, bending, lifting and reaching for some of his/her job duties.
- Visual requirements include reading off a computer screen as well as printed materials.
- A high degree of dexterity is required due to frequent use of a telephone console.
- Verbal and auditory requirements include the ability to communicate clearly over the telephone as well as in person.
- There is a moderate level of grasping, lifting, pushing and/or pulling of objects of more than 25 lbs.
This Job Description is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them for the position if the work is similar, related or a reasonable requirement of the position. Additional duties may be assigned and requirements may vary from time to time.